Albania shall lower voting age at 16 years old! Young people should be able to vote for their rights!
Albania has been among the first countries in Europe to recognize the right to vote for women in 1920. Now is the turn of adolescents!
Everywhere in Europe is required to reduce the age of voting from 18 to 16 years. In countries such as Germany, Austria, Scotland, Norway, the US, etc., adolescents now enjoy this right in local or national elections. The European Parliament, the Council of Europe, as well as progressive politicians are promoting the right to vote for adolescents over the age of 16.
Country development, access to education, technology, decision-making in the community, and schools has exposed adolescents to be responsible and to decide for themselves on their best interest.
In this context, CRCA Albania directs this petition to the Assembly of Albania and to all parliamentary political parties with the following requests:
- Reduce voting age at 16 years old for local elections;
- Setup a minimum 10% quota in the Electoral Code, for youth representation at the Parliament, Mayors and Municipal Councils.
There are several good reasons on why voting should be allowed for 16 years old:
- Reducing the voting age strengthens participation of citizens in the democracy.
- Young people are asked to be holders of responsibilities, but not of their rights.
- Any person above 14 years old can be imprisoned, but we do not recognize their right to vote at the age of 16.
- Young people pay taxes and enforce laws just like any other adult citizen. They should enjoy the right to vote!
- Politicians will better represent the interests of adolescents and young people if they hold the right to vote.
- Young people will have a unique opportunity in their lives, by deciding on their present and future.
- Adults decide on every issue related to children and youth. Why not let young people decide for themselves?!
We invite young people across Albania, parents, teachers, MPs, ministers and public officials to join us in signing this Petition that will give a new perspective to democracy and youth in Albania.