Tirana, December 12, 2018 – Civil Society Organisations in Albania through this public statement express their support to the student's demand for the increase by 5% of GDP of the education budget in Albania.
Albania invests only 3.3% of GDP on education, far from international and regional standards. This low investment rate undermines the rights of children and young people for the provision of free, quality and inclusive public education for all.
In middle-income countries like Albania, a dollar invested in education generates more than $ 5 in additional gross earnings annually.
For years, the Albanian Coalition for Education and NGO-s have urged to the Albanian Government, Parliament and every political party to allocate 5% of GDP to the education.
5% OF EDUCATION GDP ENSURES:
- Provision of inclusive and equitable quality free of charge education for all children and young people across Albania.
- Increase investment in school infrastructure, in laboratories, classrooms, gyms and quality libraries.
- Improves teaching quality by translating this into an increase in academic achievement comparable to European Union countries.
We express our conviction that the right of every person to free of charge, quality, and public education for all is a basic human right that must be respected. In this context, we invite the Albanian Parliament, the Government and all institutions, political parties and social partners to jointly do their utmost to respect and guarantee this right.
The NGO-s that approve this Public Statement
- Albanian Coalition for Education (ACE)
- Albanian National Youth Network (ANYN)
- Albanian National Child Rights Network “ACT for Children!”
- Human Rights House in Albania (HRH)
- Women’s Democracy Network in Albania
- Child Rights Centre in Albania (CRCA)
- National Child Help Line ALO 116
- Child & Youth Policy Hub Albania
- PINK Embassy in Albania
- Information and Research Centre for Child Rights in Albania
- Help the Life Association
- Albanian Law and Territorial Studies Institute (ALTRI)
- National Centre for Social Studies
- La casa nel Cuore
- Down Syndrome Albania
- Partnerë për Fëmijët
- Albanian Education Foundation
- World Vision Albania
- Albanian Helsinki Committee
- Albanian Disability Rights Foundation (ADRF)
- European Centre
- National Association Education for Life
- Save the Children Albania
- VATRA Centre, Vlorë
- Centre for Population and Development
- Useful to Albanian Women
- Action for Change and Transformation
- Rromano Kham
- Terre des Hommes
- ARSIS, Social Organization for the Support of Youth